Tuesday, June 3, 2008

strech goal and performance

Tonight is my last lesson on Strategic Management course. I love this course very much. The course challenges me very much, thinking strategically, improving presentation and writing skills. I really like Dr. Alexander, who is very encouraging. She did not look at me as one of numbered students in her class, but saw my strength and weakness, motivating me to face the difficulties and letting me to grow. What a professor! The contents of this course is invaluable!

Last week on May 27th I started my job at State Liquor Control Board, leading a large team. The job duty is very different that I have more hand-on management experience, making me thinking a lot, well, also tired after work. all my close friends know that I like to talk, but at work, I need to talk more professionally than ever, after work, I'd rather be quiet, playing some music or listening music. The mental tiring is very different from physical one. To use my strategic management course term "stretch goal and performance", I literally feel the stretch from my comfort zone to touch the field I am not familiar. Once again, I know no-one likes to change but change could bring you more unexpected. I am waiting for mine.

Last weekend I went to Portland to attend Bill Saltzman's wedding, meeting many familiar faces and ELIC teachers. Before I left Portland, I kept my promise, visiting Grandma Betty at her graveyard, thinking of her, really, I miss her very much!

I am reading a book from Harvard Review , a very thin book, but took me very long time to read and think. Lately, I am gathering and reading "Yifu Lin"'s biography, a new appointed chief economist for the world bank. This man is amazing Chinese man. if you have time, check him out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Yifu_Lin

current reading: Jack Welch's biography.

No comments: